[plt-dev] Re: [plt-scheme] scribble sigplan

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Apr 28 08:23:49 EDT 2010

On Apr 28, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> [switching to plt-dev]
>
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> >
> > Doing this on Linux will require searching (evince and xpdf are other
> > likely candidates, and more generic things like `gnome-open') -- it's
> > going to take some time for xdg-open to be popular enough.  (And
> > before you argue: "popular" = installed by default on practically all
> > distros, old ones that don't have it are a negligible minority.  Both
> > are currently wrong.)
>
> What distros don't install xdg-open by default?  I'm pretty sure
> Fedora and Ubuntu both do.

Fedora doesn't (I have an F12 setup, and it's not in the default
installation), and that means that RH is even further away from having
it.

> Also, I'm suggesting only showing the button if 'xdg-open' is in the
> path, rather than having some complicated search.

Right -- this means a whole bunch of people who will not see it.

> > Windows should be easy -- just openning it will let the shell do
> > whatever needs to be done.
>
> If you know how to do it, the code is in
> scribble/tools/drscheme-buttons.

Just do the same thing as the browser -- it could do the same
search-if-no-default thing.  Or even easier -- do it through
`send-url/file' and let the browser (that it decides on) deal with
it.  Since on OSX this runs "open location <url>" it's likely to work
even there.