[plt-dev] pushes & pulls & building

From: Stevie Strickland (sstrickl at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 28 07:15:43 EDT 2010

On Apr 28, 2010, at 6:39 AM, Philippe Meunier wrote:
> In fact it looks to me like, rather then going through a private copy
> of the main repo that sits on the main git server, what I should
> really do is have my own local public git server.  Then I can use it
> to synchronize things between machines locally, break any code I want,
> pull new changes from the main repo whenever I want, and only push
> from that server to the main repo when I'm ready.  In other words,
> move to a truly distributed system for which git was designed rather
> than trying to shoe-horn git into something that looks like svn?

Right.  The use of usr space on the PLT git server was mainly for those who don't have a machine with a public IP (or a private VPN) and thus need a machine they can access from anywhere.  If you have such a machine, it's simple to set up.  Even more so that you don't need to run anything special like a git server for it; you just need SSH access to your machine.

(Before Eli set up the usr space, I used to do this on my lab machine, which does have a public IP.  My computers at home cloned the repo that was there in ~/plt via the SSH method, and it worked well.  I switched to the version above because I plan on coordinating with other people like Sam for projects, and I don't want to have to create new user accounts on my lab machine for each person with whom I want to work.)

Stevie

Posted on the dev mailing list.