[plt-dev] Re: [PRL] Programming Languages in the Code of Federal Regulations

From: Bryan Chadwick (chadwick at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 27 09:22:43 EDT 2010

It seems they only have one (explicit) requirement: "interpreted", but
even that isn't really a requirement.  Any (platform independent)
programming language should do, so long as securities issuers present
their source... not bytecode.

A more pressing concern should be standardization.

Bryan.

Pg. 214 of the proposal:
   http://www.sec.gov/rules/proposed/2010/33-9117.pdf

   "Python is an open source interpreted programming
    language. Open source means that the source code is available
    to all users (as opposed to proprietary source code that can
    be viewed only by the owner or developer of the program). An
    interpreted language is a programming language that requires
    an interpreter in the target computer for program
    execution.

    We prohibit the inclusion of executable code in electronic
    submissions on EDGAR because of the computer security risks
    posed by accepting executable code for filing. Executable code
    results from separately compiling a computer program prior to
    running it. Since Python is an interpreted language that does
    not need to be compiled prior to running it, executable code
    would not need to be published on EDGAR, and we would not
    require EDGAR to establish facilities to host, run, or operate
    any computer program."

> Relevant background question: does anyone know how they picked
> Python? This information would probably tell us a lot about what
> it is that they're looking for.

Posted on the dev mailing list.