[plt-dev] pushes & pulls & building

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Apr 27 13:34:52 EDT 2010

On Apr 27, Robby Findler wrote:
> In order to do a push this morning, I had to do a pull. Which
> suggested that I should probably rebuild; I started this process at
> 9:30 this morning (it is now 12:30) and I am only just started on
> rendering the docs (my changes involve changes to the docs). It is
> taking so long because there have been pushes since I pulled and
> those pushes required long rebuild times; well, that and my machine
> is slow.

I don't think that it is geenrally a good idea to start rebuilding on
every new push.  It might be an exceptional time now, with a lot of
changes that affect everyone, but if the new commits are irrelevant to
your changes, then restarting a build seems unnecessary.

> If I had a way to push from my slow machine to my fast machine I
> could do the build and testing there, I think, and I would have been
> done hours ago, I expect. Is that a fruitful path to consider?

That would be easy -- something like this should work to push your
master branch to anywhere you have ssh access to:

  git push fast-machine:path/to/repo master

On Apr 27, Jay McCarthy wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Robby Findler
> <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> > In order to do a push this morning, I had to do a pull. Which
> > suggested that I should probably rebuild; I started this process
> > at 9:30 this morning (it is now 12:30) and I am only just started
> > on rendering the docs (my changes involve changes to the docs). It
> > is taking so long because there have been pushes since I pulled
> > and those pushes required long rebuild times; well, that and my
> > machine is slow.
> >
> > So, this doesn't seem feasible. What do others do?
>
> This is exactly what I complained about before. Before Git, I would
> update to the HEAD whenever I observed a cool commit or needed to
> make a big change, but otherwise would be a few weeks behind. Now, I
> upgrade every morning to be on the cusp. It is a little annoying,
> but I've dealt.

You could do something similar -- updating only before you push,
without a global rebuild like the one Robby is stuck in.  It won't be
as robust as making a build, but this is exactly what you'd get when
you commit a change to your directory and ignore changes around you.

In any case, I think that it should be possible to get something
similar as in svn, but I didn't get to write about it yet.