[plt-dev] Re: [PRL] Programming Languages in the Code of Federal Regulations

From: Michael Sperber (sperber at deinprogramm.de)
Date: Tue Apr 27 03:11:24 EDT 2010

Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> writes:

>>> Years ago, Turbo Pascal had a binary-coded decimal (BCD) type that
>>> was especially suited for doing financial calculations, avoiding
>>> some of the representational problems of IEEE 754.  Something like
>>> that might figure in a DSL for the feds.

I'll point out that floating-point vs. BCD or something like it is SO
not an issue with the real-world financial calculations the SEC is
worried about.  (Well, it is an issue for the calculations, but it is
not an issue for the people doing them.)  Most everyone in that
community has long accepted binary floating-point as completely adequate
for doing financial calculations for complex products.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike