[plt-dev] Q. about local branches

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri Apr 23 15:30:42 EDT 2010

Two more quick points:

1. Please remember that there is a "play" repository that looks like
   the "plt" repository -- it is intended for people to try things
   out.

2. Re private repositories, I just tried it (with my change to the
   toplevel .gitignore file).  As I thought, this is extremely easy:

     ssh git fork plt usr/eli/plt     # create my fork on the server
     git clone git:usr/eli/plt        # clone it on my machine
     ...edit the file...
     git commit
     git push                         # pushes my changes to my fork
     git push git:plt master          # pushes them to the main plt repo
     ssh git delete usr/eli/plt       # removes my clone

   (The two "ssh" commands are extensions that I implemented earlier
   this week.)  So this looks not only easy, it sounds like it might
   even be easier to get used to than working with branches (although
   there's not much difference, since you can pull any number of
   remote repos into your own, even from ones that are unrelated).