[plt-dev] Push emails & private clones

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Apr 21 21:59:17 EDT 2010

I've changed the emails so pushes to a branch get mailed only to
whoever pushed them.  I know that this is lacking compared to what we
had in svn, where some people wanted to know about *all* commits,
including branches.  I can come up with some new email for those
things, but I think that I have a better overall plan for branches, so
this change is temporary, until this plan is implemented.

The plan is to not have any private branches -- unless (or until) we
run into a branch that is truly a shared branch (in the past, the only
branch that could qualify for that was the v4 branch).  I have
implemented server-side cloning, which means that it is easy to get
your own clone of the plt repository, which will be done at the
server.  (Since it's on the same FS, git creates such clones using
hard links for the data files, which means that it's a very cheap
operation.)  I will also implement a way for people to customize their
own private repositories, which means that after you create your
private clone, you would be able to configure it to send notifications
anywhere you want.

This is also going to be convenient as a central place where you back
up your data, in case you frequently switch between different
accounts.  You would be able to commit as often as you like --
including silly "checkpoint" commits, and when you're ready to merge
it all to the master branch on the plt repository, you can use rebase
to squash groups of these "checkpoint" commits into more logical
commits.