[plt-dev] Re: renaming programs in the distribution

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 21 10:48:49 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2010, at 10:37 AM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
>
>> It seems like what you want is for multiple Racket programs to be able
>> to share the same VM process, thus sharing memory.  I think this would
>> be useful in some cases, and I think people have investigated it in
>> the context of Java.  But it also has some drawbacks.  For example, a
>> crash in one program brings down everything.  And SirMail and DrRacket
>> can't run on separate cores.  And both programs pause at the same time
>> for GC.
>
> Our whole claim is that mred eh mrracket is an OS. We should
> push it hard so that one error doesn't take down the whole thing.
> And I think we can.
>
> (I could even imagine a fake shell :-)

FWIW, the thing I had was called "mzos". But I think a better course
is to try to attempt some kind of integration / reuse for the parts
where we don't see a direct research interest (but maybe you see one
here?)

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.