[plt-dev] renaming programs in the distribution

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 20 13:54:05 EDT 2010

At Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:25:39 -0400, Carl Eastlund wrote:
> Version 3 is troublesome.  It gives a short name to encourage people
> to run "racket <file>" so they don't have to do long stuff... but then
> punishes them if they use that to build a script and ever have a file
> with a similar name to a command.

That doesn't sound quite right. With option 3, `racket' would decide on
file versus command syntactically, without consulting the set of
available commands or files. So, changes in available files or commands
do not change the interpretation of a command line.

I believe that a script implementor would be punished only if the
script was called from its own directory without using a path prefix
and when "." is in PATH.

Posted on the dev mailing list.