[plt-dev] renaming programs in the distribution

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 07:27:45 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> A proposal:
>
> If you run
>
>  racket <command> ....
>
> where <command> doesn't have a "/", "\", or "." in it, then it's a
> command dispatch. Any other use of `racket' could be like the current
> `racket' command line.

I like this proposal. Just make sure racket some-file gives an message like:

"There is no racket command called some-file. If you meant to run the
file some-file please use

  racket run some-file"

> If we go that route --- and I think it's worth a try --- that leaves us
> with the problem of naming programs that currently start with "PLT".

Just fold 'em in. I see no problem with the web server and games being
subcommands. In particular the later adds a nice touch of whimsy. It
would be nice if racket were extensible like git is. I can envisage
adding project management / build tool type commands.

N.

Posted on the dev mailing list.