[plt-dev] renaming programs in the distribution

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 19 13:26:42 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> Or maybe the the problem is trying to put all command-line tools as
> commands within something like `rico'.

Yes, I think that is exactly the problem.  I already have a generic
command-line tool, it's called "bash".  We don't need to write a shell
program.  If we have related operations, we should put them in one
tool.  Anything unrelated should be separate.  For instance, in order
to write Racket code, I need to compile code (setup-plt), read
documentation (plt-help), and install packages (planet).  So it makes
sense to put those together.

Playing games and running a web server are not directly in support of
the actual writing of code, so I'd consider them separate.  Example
PLT applications, but not part of the development process.

> Maybe `rico' really should be
> for *programming* tools... but what do we produce other than
> programming tools?

Games and web servers, apparently.

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.