[plt-dev] Notifications poll (was: repository information)

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon Apr 19 07:22:52 EDT 2010

On Apr 19, Carl Eastlund wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> > In any case, I'll do a quick poll.  I see the following options:
> >
> > 1. Leave things as they are now: the few people who wanted to get
> >   notifications will continue getting them, nobody else will.
> >
> > 2. Create a new mailing list for commits, and have all comitters on it
> >   (as well as anyone else who wants to be on it).  Leave plt-dev
> >   alone.
>
> I vote for #2.  There are clearly people interested in getting these
> messages, and there should be a standard way for anyone to get them.
> On the other hand, there are people generous enough to contribute
> their time and attention to plt-dev, and if they don't want a deluge
> of [what is to them] spam, they shouldn't have to put up with it
> from us.

Note that #2 is essentially a slightly more organized[*] version of
#1.  Specifically, things will be nearly identical to how they are now
-- no advantages.  Even if there was a mass subscription wave (won't
happen), people would be discouraged to post messages on a commits
mailing list.

[*] I'll probably also keep it as a mail alias "group", unless many
people want to be on it.