[plt-dev] usr repositories

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 17 16:28:06 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Noel Welsh <noelwelsh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 9:20 PM, Carl Eastlund <cce at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>> DrDr were automatically promoting any non-bug-introducing changes into
>> milestone as soon as possible
>
> This.
> N.

That's tenable as an idea, but I'm not sure we're "there" yet.  There
are components DrDr doesn't test, some kinds of bugs we have to ignore
to get sanity (all the "changes"), and the system often gets many
hours behind.

Besides, I don't know that we should rely on DrDr to do our thinking
for us.  Why do we need a "dev" repository between users and
"milestone", if people can commit locally and run relevant tests
before pushing to... well, to whatever we're calling the version
people pull from?  Running the relevant tests oneself, fixing if
necessary, then pushing once done, is faster overall than pushing to
DrDr, waiting for it to catch up, build everything, test everything,
and notify, before figuring out if a fix can go to milestone.

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.