[plt-dev] usr repositories

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 17 16:20:15 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Noel Welsh <noelwelsh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Carl Eastlund <cce at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>> DrDr should be a last resort, not our main testing facility.  Other
>> people build off the shared repository; it shouldn't be the common
>> place for a round-trip during develop/test/fix/repeat.  People should
>> test whatever their changes are likely to impact.  Hopefully git will
>> make this easier on us so people won't be so tempted to commit without
>> testing.
>
> Well the bit I didn't add, and should have, is that if enough ppl feel
> this way you can setup a system whereby only certain versions get
> promoted to a 'milestones' branch from which everyone can build from.
> E.g. there exists at least three branches: dev (stuff waiting QA
> developing towards the next release), milestones (dev that has passed
> QA aka DrDr) and release (the last release + patches). You branch from
> milestones but merge into dev. That way only you can break your build.
>
> N.

Under this system I don't know what "dev" is for.  It's for putting
untested changes out there for other people to not use?  Unless DrDr
were automatically promoting any non-bug-introducing changes into
milestone as soon as possible, I wouldn't want to wait for a
"milestone" to get an important update, and I wouldn't want to have to
pick up untested changes from "dev" to get one either.

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.