[plt-dev] Git semi-final repository

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 15 16:20:46 EDT 2010

In using git in other projects the workflow is this:

 - Create a project. This is fill in a web form easy (Github) or
commit some setup code moderately easy (gitosis). For you it is
probably email Eli easy.

 - Acquire the public keys of the committers. For PLT members this is
a no-op; you already have them. For others this is (non-)problematic
as generating svn login hashes.

 - Add their keys to the repository. Again this is just a web form on
Github or some minor config for gitosis, or probably another email for
you.

That's it. This is equivalent to using svn apart from the first step
which is slightly simpler in svn (just create a new directory in the
existing repo in svn).

I admit I didn't like git when I first started using. It is a more
flexible system than svn and consequentially more complicated. As I
use git more and understand it better I'm coming to appreciate what it
offers.

N.

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> It's about the commandline, it's about the /usr/ sub-trees.
> We have a bunch of stuff in /usr/ trees that we share with
> the subset of people that matters (papers, books, private
> programs, web trees, etc). With svn, you just set up authorization
> and it all works. With git, it's too complicated so everyone
> sees everything or something like that.

Posted on the dev mailing list.