[plt-dev] feature request

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 14 16:51:51 EDT 2010

On Apr 14, 2010, at 4:47 PM, Jon Rafkind wrote:

> Unrelated, but as long as we are asking for feature requests I would like some smoother upgrade path between structs and classes. The struct syntax is very nice for creating objects that store data so I like to use that rather than starting with classes, but once I decide a struct should be used in an OO model then I have to rewrite a lot of code.
>
> I have no formal proposal yet, but if anyone has ideas about it I would be interested.

Agreed.

When we discussed structs, I proposed unifying the two concepts, kind of like in C++. (That was an off-list proposal.) C++ didn't get everything wrong, and this may just be the right way to go.

One could go about this by understanding define-struct as a macro that expands into 'light weight' classes. With that I mean classes that could co-exist with our boot sequence.

-- Matthias

Posted on the dev mailing list.