[plt-dev] coding ideas from JaneStreet

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 13 09:08:46 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 7:15 AM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 4:42 AM, Paulo J. Matos <pocmatos at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Awesome, this one of my favourite features missing in Scheme. Hopefully
>> we will see this soon in TS, Sam?
>
> Yes, we will hopefully soon see the form Eli describes.  But it won't
> give you exhaustiveness checking in general for `match', that's much
> harder.

I'm still looking into this, but my initial reading of the paper
behind the current match implementation [1] seems to suggest that the
compilation process can detect when it has to insert "else" clauses
which should be at least a good start on this problem, no?

Robby

[1] _Optimizing Pattern Matching_, by  Maranget and Le Fessant.

Posted on the dev mailing list.