[plt-dev] some Racket proposals & implementation

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 5 10:31:42 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> I dislike this change. Brainfuck is very lightweight language too (by
> the measures of lightweightness I've seen here recently), lets not
> forget.
>
> In more politic words, it seems like making function definitions and
> structure definitions look so similar to each other is just asking
> Racket programmers to get confused.

We should also recall that almost all Racket programmers in the near
future will be people who already know PLT Scheme, and we shouldn't
throw away their (our) intuitions without strong reasons.  Switching
to #:super for the much-less-common case is very different from
changing the syntax in a significant way.

Also, for the foreseeable future, lots of people will program in
student languages where `define-struct' will have the syntax it has
now, using a textbook that uses that syntax as well.  I think this
installed mind-share suggests keeping the basic structure of the
syntax the same.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu