[plt-dev] some Racket proposals & implementation

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 3 22:26:05 EDT 2010

I am almost certainly overreacting, but I can't really get behind this point.

The main issue seems to be that sstruct uses "many libraries at
compile time". In particular that's scheme/match, dict, and
syntax/parse. If we can't use our high level language and awesome
macro tools in our main language, what's the point?

My radicalism says that we should do what is elegant and nice and work
on better compilers, optimizers, etc to deal with the memory footprint
and startup time. I like Racket to begin with because I want the
computer to do the work, not me.

In this particular case, my batch compiler with its straight-forward
dead-code elimination allows you to use "scheme" and get the smallest
bit that you actually need. It gets smaller startup time and memory
footprint. Currently it's not perfect, but it seems like it is the
right direction when you're concerned with memory footprint, rather
than holding back what we otherwise believe are good features.

As a corollary, I see this define-sstruct as a nascent lambda/kw. If
we really value it, then it should be the default and we should do
what it takes to make it work. If we don't go that route, it doesn't
make sense to me to have it as a PLaneT package or swindle-like thing
that isn't commonly used. To be clear, I'm cool going that way. I'm
not emotionally attached to code that I wrote over two days in 30
second increments.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>