[plt-dev] Test failure

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 29 23:52:26 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> On Oct 29, Matthew Flatt wrote:
>> Some change to the test suite has made "quiet.ss" stop printing
>> sections after `names'. That makes it more difficult to see where
>> the failure happens.
>
> That wasn't the problem -- it's `load-in-sandbox' that stopped showing
> the section names, the `names' section is just the last one that is
> not done in a sandbox.  Fixing it is easy, "testing.ss" has this line
> in the sandbox setup:
>
>    (e `(define real-error-port (quote ,real-error-port)))
>
> and a similar line should be added for `fake-error-port'.
>
> However, looking back at this change, I don't see what it's supposed
> to achieve.  The `real-error-port' thing is used in three places:
>
> * In "quiet.ss", it is used to display any real errors; this wasn't
>  changed in Jay's commit.
>
> * In "testing.ss" it is used (through `eprintf*') to print section
>  headers.

My commit was really to make these print to the stdout. If they print
to stderr, they look like errors to DrDr:

http://drdr.plt-scheme.org/16461/collects/tests/mzscheme/quiet.ss

Even though they are just informative. IMHO, they should really be to
stdout. It seems like they are only to stderr as part of the hack to
turn off other stuff printing.

Jay

Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>
http://teammccarthy.org/jay