[plt-dev] number of HtDP graduates

From: Michael Sperber (sperber at deinprogramm.de)
Date: Tue Oct 13 04:11:13 EDT 2009

Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> 2. While I appreciate the compliments, I will say that I forbid my
> students to mention Scheme on their resume. I tell them time and again
> that they are not learning Scheme (there is lots more to learn before
> you even scratch the surface of Scheme), and that the course isn't
> about Scheme. Seriously, I would expect that someone with a full HtDP
> background (or basics: I through VI) would need another semester to
> get to the basic level of programming where I would even consider
> someone fluent in a language.

That does not matter.  The average training in language X where people
put X in their resume and their employers are happy is much, much, much
less than HtDP.  (Also, it isn't really Scheme that matters - it's
functional programming.)  I completely agree with Neil that it would be
useful.  They don't have to be current numbers.  They could be an
estimate, ... whatever.  But having that kind of statement would help
people like Neil and me.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike