[plt-dev] Incredibly slow setup-plt

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 8 21:16:51 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> On Oct  8, Carl Eastlund wrote:
>>
>> And while I don't usually time my setup-plt, and it can certainly be
>> slow, I think 7 hours is a record.
>
> This is weird.
>

>> Clean builds have taken 2 or 3 hours, but I've never had to wait
>> essentially a whole work day for one to finish before.
>
> And even this is weird.  The nightly build (which is always a clean
> build) on your box takes about 30 minutes.  That's without the
> documentation, but even with a factor of 2 it's still far from 2-3
> hours.

The documentation usually takes longer than all the rest.  If you're
used to 30 minutes for the C and Scheme code, late at night with
nothing else running, I'm not too surprised to see 2-3 hours including
the Scribble code, during the day while I have other applications
running.  (I'm not sure how much the other applications matter, given
it's a dual core machine and mzscheme runs on only one core, but
Scribble is easily the bulk of the build time.)

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.