[plt-dev] a common collection for utility modules

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryanc at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 7 00:43:11 EST 2009

Grant Rettke wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Ryan Culpepper <ryanc at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>> I hope the unstable collection will lead to more code sharing. I also hope
>> that it will be a place to hash out interfaces and get implementations Just
>> Right before promoting code to the major leagues^W collections. Not for all
>> code, just for code that doesn't immediately fit in anywhere else.
>
> How about allowing different types of packages: "experiment" and
> "production". It would make clear the intended level of quality and
> you wouldn't have to worry about a one-size-fits-all package.

Just to be clear, we aren't talking about packages in the PLaneT sense
at all. Rather, modules and subcollections within the "unstable" collection.

I think this can be done at the documentation level. Possibly we'll
evolve some standard labels and encourage their use. BTW, I'm
envisioning all documentation for "unstable" libraries to be within a
single "Unstable" manual; that should help make it clear.

Ryan

Posted on the dev mailing list.