[plt-dev] Test server & client

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon May 11 06:21:27 EDT 2009

I've hacked together a test server and client, which should work very
nicely for running a test in a lab.  I have used a preliminary version
of it in my final exam, and despite the problems[*] it went fine and
everything related to the exam was much easier to deal with (no
papers, easier grading, etc).  I've put the sources at
http://misc.barzilay.org/tester/ -- and there's a verbose README that
serves as the current documentation.

Aside from the intended use, the application itself is basically a
specialized client where you edit files that are getting continuously
synchronized to the server, so it can serve as a basis for a
collaborative editing kind of application.  It uses the framework
library, so the editor itself is very close to DrScheme.

[*] I had only a rough sketch of the server and the client, with
important parts missing -- so I was hacking missing parts of the
system (both client and server) while students were already using it.
I anticipated this, so I set things up to make it robust -- but this
was an extreme example of "live coding", much more stressful than
what's usually associated with that term...