[plt-dev] in-place build directory (was re: build error with svn 14677)

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri May 1 20:01:42 EDT 2009

On May  1, Carl Eastlund wrote:

> I've made a set of possible changes.  Here is the text of the
> 'mkdir' and 'configure' steps (up to the example commands); I've
> attached a full README file as well as a diff that makes these
> changes and updates later references to step numbers.

The problem with this, so that it's now turned around:

 1. Select (or create) a build directory.  It is better to run the
    build in a different directory rather than use this directory.

This reads like a specific instruction to create a build directory.
It's an option that is very useful for people who will hold the
directory for a long time, but these people are still a minority.
Most people will compile from source once, or will compile from source
once after every release.