[plt-dev] in-place build directory (was re: build error with svn 14677)

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri May 1 19:06:06 EDT 2009

On May  1, Carl Eastlund wrote:
> That doesn't suggest creating a directory called "build" directly
> under the "src" directory,

IMO, the only reason to suggest a "build" subdirectory -- the
`svn:ignore' property -- is well below the threshold of what should be
described in the src/README file.

> nor is that explanation in a prominent place.  And this explanation
> comes after the initial description of the "configure" command,
> despite the need for "mkdir build" to come before it.  So I think
> it's somewhat out of order.

I've added more text describing this, and I've added a second example
with a "build" subdirectory.  However, the "The `configure' script
generates ..." paragraphe is a little off now, since the subject was
previously mentioned.  I tried to fix it, but it's still not great.
It would be nice if you (or anyone) can go over the new text and
improve it.

Another thing that would be very nice to add in there is a set of
packages that should be installed to build everything on various Linux
distros; the list of packages for Ubuntu and Fedora should cover most
cases.  But I don't know the exact list -- I'm not using Ubuntu
regularly, and my Fedora installations usualy contain enough stuff
that it's not an issue.  If anyone has such lists I'll add them too.