[plt-dev] in-place build directory (was re: build error with svn 14677)

From: Carl Eastlund (carl.eastlund at gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 1 17:34:30 EDT 2009

That doesn't suggest creating a directory called "build" directly
under the "src" directory, nor is that explanation in a prominent
place.  The specific choice of "src/build" is supported by the
svn:ignore property in src/, for instance -- not all choices of build
directory are equal.  And this explanation comes after the initial
description of the "configure" command, despite the need for "mkdir
build" to come before it.  So I think it's somewhat out of order.

For most purposes, someone making a default, in-place build can just
read the first paragraph of each step, maybe skim the rest for
platform-specific "gotchas", and move on.  I know it's important to
read the whole thing, but that doesn't mean everybody will.  I think
those first-paragraphs should spell out a common path to an in-place
build, and currently the "mkdir build ; cd build" step is missing.

--Carl