[plt-dev] Scribble errors in Dracula distribution

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 9 13:43:36 EDT 2009

At Mon, 9 Mar 2009 13:36:59 -0400, Carl Eastlund wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> > At Mon, 9 Mar 2009 11:30:58 -0400, Carl Eastlund wrote:
> >>  If I make a require expander that generates
> >> a (planet ...) spec with appropriate version number, will Scribble
> >> "understand" that?
> >
> > Yes. Scribble just looks at `for-label' bindings, leaving it to the
> > module+macro system to create those bindings.
>
> What is different about the result of (planet ...) bindings from
> relative bindings that gives Scribble a clue as to when to provide
> links, given that both should refer to the same file at the time the
> documentation is built?

The "given" isn't actually given.

When you say

 planet create <dir>

then even if <dir> and a package installation happen to be the same on
the filesystem, `planet create' doesn't access <dir> through a `planet'
path, so relative paths in <dir> are unrelated to Planet paths at the
level of module paths.

One current proposal is to have `planet create' build documentation out
of a currently installed package, instead from an arbitrary directory.

Posted on the dev mailing list.