[plt-dev] Re: [plt-scheme] SchemeUnit confusion

From: Dave Gurnell (d.j.gurnell at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 9 05:10:58 EDT 2009

 From an app developer's point of view, I think Noel's reasoning is
this:

All of PLT is bundled together under one big version number. If you
upgrade the core, you upgrade all the satellite libraries as well.
This has three drawbacks:

   - if you want to upgrade to a newer version of PLT for an
improvement in one library, you may have to deal with potential
backwards-incompatible changes in other libraries at the same time;

   - compiling all of PLT can be slow;

   - other software you have developed may still use older versions of
PLT.

PLaneT offers a little more flexibility: to a certain degree you can
choose to upgrade one dependency independently of the rest.

In other words, if Noel makes a change to Schemeunit, and a developer
is requiring it from the core, he/she will have to update all of PLT
at the same time, which might take a while and make upgrading
difficult. If, however, the developer is requiring Schemeunit from
PLaneT, they should hopefully be able to just upgrade that one library
and leave everything else as-is.

Cheers,

-- Dave

> Noel, I don't understand this response at all. Could you elaborate?
> In the past we have deprecated planet package when we moved code
> into the core. -- Matthias
>
>> Dependency management. We've been bitten by changes in the web server
>> stopping us upgrading PLT to get bug fixes in other areas. Now
>> SchemeUnit isn't as likely to change as the web server, but why make
>> the dependency if you can avoid it? (This only applies if you aren't
>> developing core code. If you are, use the core version.)
>>
>> N.
>>
>>> Why recommend the planet version over the core version?
>>>
>>> Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.