[plt-dev] svn cp?

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 30 06:20:26 EDT 2009

I think it was something worse than that. I kept getting errors
involving this string:

  svn: Working copy path does not exist in repository

and I was unable to merge my branch back into the trunk. Instead, I
just checked out two copies in parallel and used diff and cp to
"merge" my changes back to the trunk.

(It wasn't quite as bad as it sounds, since I was able to merge the
trunk into my branch, so the diff really only identified the changed
files. I did read thru the diffs to make sure the changes were what I
expected, but I didn't selectively apply anything.)

Robby

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 1:37 AM, Ryan Culpepper<ryanc at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> Robby Findler wrote:
>>
>> Did someone do an svn cp somehow related to the file
>> collects/tests/typed-scheme/succeed/pr9053-2.ss?
>>
>> If so, I think svn cp shoudl be permanently banned from now on. If you
>> want to rename, you just lose the history. Tough shit.
>
> I assume there's mergeinfo on that file and that it's causing merge
> conflicts?
>
> Is there any use in having mergeinfo on files and directories in the trunk?
> The only place I know of where mergeinfo is useful is on branch roots. Are
> there other uses for mergeinfo?
>
> Could we institute a policy of keeping mergeinfo out of the trunk? Is that
> the kind of thing we could implement as a commit trigger?
>
> Ryan

Posted on the dev mailing list.