[plt-dev] planet remove and scribble

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 9 18:27:29 EST 2009

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> Sounds like the best thing would be for planet to detect that some
> package depends on the to-be-removed package and then inform the user
> that and do nothing, letting the user override that decision via some
> flags that either give the upgrade behavior or removal of all
> dependents.

I would prefer to have a default behavior other than abort, but I
could live with a set of flags.  I definitely want the current
behavior to be one of the options, though hopefully "smarter" so it
doesn't spend time rebuilding the package to remove (as described in
the rest of this thread).  Removing a package, leaving its
dependencies in place, then installing a replacement, is still the
best way to replace a package.  If we don't allow that, we have to
either anticipate every kind of replacement (depending on whether the
packages come from the server, a fileinject, or a development link,
whether they're the same or different version numbers, etc.), or force
the user to reinstall each dependent package one by one after the
fact.

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.