[plt-dev] Re: problem with optimistic compilation

From: Faré (fahree at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 12 12:25:47 EDT 2009

One more thing -- because bugs happen in the application,
implementation or underlying system, I have found that atomicity in
filesystem operations is very useful in avoiding corrupt half-compiled
objects that pollute the build in ways that the user doesn't always
suspect (and therefore spends countless hours chasing).

Lacking a transaction interface to the filesystem from the OS, you can
cheaply achieve atomicity in the creation of object files by first
non-atomically creating an object file with a temporary name (such as
foo.o.tmp or foo.o.tmp-$HOSTNAME-$PID-$TIMESTAMP) and atomically
rename it when it is complete (bonus if you check whether it creates
any change, and abort the new file if no change was necessary - you'll
play much nicer with timestamp-based dependency managers).

In my experience, implementing such a technique is cheap, and leads to
much more robust (and faster) incremental building of large systems.

(I haven't checked, so maybe PLT already does that in which case,
congratulations!)

The program isn't debugged until the last user is dead.