[plt-dev] Re: problem with optimistic compilation

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 12 11:47:32 EDT 2009

Yes, it could. That's the second option I suggested below. I was more
conservative, tho, and suggested that it only be turned on with a
flag. But perhaps it should be disabled with a flag instead. I think
we probably want it off by default for the mzscheme binary, tho, since
mzscheme will inprinciple be running in all kinds of places that
shouldn't do things like write to the fileysystem.

Robby

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Matthias
Felleisen<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> Perhaps I am naive, but could mzscheme just automatically compile files when
> it finds that compiled/ is out of date? or use the source file instead?
>

> On Aug 12, 2009, at 11:42 AM, Robby Findler wrote:
>
>> I see a few possibilities. I think that this is a problem specific to
>> people who work regularly with SVN, so we can expect such people to
>> have extra sophistication:
>>
>>  - (IMO, the second best option and one that is available now):
>> instead of saying "mzscheme file.ss", say "mzc file.ss && mzscheme
>> file.ss".
>>
>>  -  (IMO the best option): mzscheme should get a commandline option
>> that amounts to doing the above for you automatically. So intead of
>> "mzscheme file.ss" yo'd say "mzscheme --compile-zo file.ss" or
>> something.
>>
>>  - disable automatic compilation in drscheme.
>>
>>  - (the saddest option): by default, have automatic compilation in
>> drscheme turned off by default
>>
>> Robby
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Matthias Felleisen<matthias at ccs.neu.edu>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Now that drscheme compiles things behind my back, I am encountering a new
>>> problem al the time.
>>>
>>> 1. I have a fair number of scripts. Usually I run them with mzscheme ...
>>> or
>>> mred ... or it may even have the right Unix incantations in the file.
>>>
>>> 2. I also tend to use auxiliary files and my own small private collects
>>> of
>>> auxiliaries.
>>>
>>> 3. On some occasion (I thought it was rare but it happens often enough
>>> since
>>> the switch for me to notice) I open these scripts in drs and run them.
>>> Now
>>> the aux files are compiled.
>>>
>>> 4. I regularly update my plt installation from source (say 3-4 times per
>>> week; usually every day).
>>>
>>> 5. Oops, I can no longer run the scripts because the compiled files are
>>> version n-1.
>>>
>>> I'll just stick to describing the problem here, just in case there's an
>>> obvious solution. -- Matthias

Posted on the dev mailing list.