[plt-dev] Re: problem with optimistic compilation

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 12 11:42:14 EDT 2009

I see a few possibilities. I think that this is a problem specific to
people who work regularly with SVN, so we can expect such people to
have extra sophistication:

  - (IMO, the second best option and one that is available now):
instead of saying "mzscheme file.ss", say "mzc file.ss && mzscheme
file.ss".

  -  (IMO the best option): mzscheme should get a commandline option
that amounts to doing the above for you automatically. So intead of
"mzscheme file.ss" yo'd say "mzscheme --compile-zo file.ss" or
something.

  - disable automatic compilation in drscheme.

  - (the saddest option): by default, have automatic compilation in
drscheme turned off by default

Robby

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Matthias Felleisen<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> Now that drscheme compiles things behind my back, I am encountering a new
> problem al the time.
>
> 1. I have a fair number of scripts. Usually I run them with mzscheme ... or
> mred ... or it may even have the right Unix incantations in the file.
>
> 2. I also tend to use auxiliary files and my own small private collects of
> auxiliaries.
>
> 3. On some occasion (I thought it was rare but it happens often enough since
> the switch for me to notice) I open these scripts in drs and run them. Now
> the aux files are compiled.
>
> 4. I regularly update my plt installation from source (say 3-4 times per
> week; usually every day).
>
> 5. Oops, I can no longer run the scripts because the compiled files are
> version n-1.
>
> I'll just stick to describing the problem here, just in case there's an
> obvious solution. -- Matthias

Posted on the dev mailing list.