[plt-dev] Re: localization

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 22 21:13:19 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2009, at 8:53 PM, Robby Findler wrote:
>
>> How about this: Mike has (I believe) string-constant-izied some files
>> so that he can use the testing code in German. I'll take what he's
>> done and abstract it slightly differently so that we just have two
>> versions, a German one and an English one and htdp will use one and
>> deinprogramm the other.
>
> I think this is a fair compromise for now.
>

>> (But note that I don't think your first reaction is appropriate for
>> the start of this thread -- here we're localizing the PL that
>> implements a program (hdtp langs vs deinprogramm langs, not the
>> program itself. It does make sense for apps that are actually
>> localized to use the user's locale, but that is still a drscheme-level
>> issue (or maybe framework).)
>

> A PL is just a scriptable app. So I think my reaction is basically on the
> right track.

Okay, sure in that sense. But I don't think it is a good design to
have while spelled "dergumphenwhilenplatzenmaker" in Germany and
"rightocarryon" in the UK.

Perhaps we should have skinnable PLs somehow that know how render the
keywords differently in different places instead.

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.