[plt-dev] Re: localization

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 22 20:34:21 EDT 2009

Now I get it.

The natural language selection is a drscheme-specific preference,
because that's where language selection is visible (has an effect).

So for teaching languages, the string-constants library stores the
current "locale" in the preferences.

Ergo, when drscheme creates an executable for programs in TLs, this
program suddenly depends on the preferences.

;; ---

I have two reactions to that:

1. Since people wish to build apps that are locale-specific (say
British English vs German vs whoknowswhat), perhaps the DrScheme
preferences are the wrong place to store this selection.

2. Teaching languages are perhaps the wrong place to teach the
creation of locale-specific apps. BUT, for heaven's sake, we should
be happy that a non-English speaking culture wishes to exploit our
ideas and software, let's figure out to help them.

;; ---

Having said that, I am wondering how Java apps are localized. Anyone
know?

-- Matthias

Posted on the dev mailing list.