[plt-dev] JFYI editor performance note

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Fri Apr 17 16:48:57 EDT 2009

On my ancient PPC G5 cheese-grater, svn head editors are very very
slow relative to 4.1.4. I note the following things:

1) I can get *way* ahead of the keystroke buffer.  In particular, if I
type 160 characters quickly, it takes svn head 15 seconds to get them
all onto the screen.  In 4.1.4, on the other hand, DrScheme takes them
as fast as I personally can type them, in this case 154 chars in 5
seconds.  So, this is at least 3 times as fast, possibly much more.

2) Pasting text from one buffer into another is a particular problem,
often taking many seconds.

Perhaps this is a PPC-specific issue?

John