[racket] Transitioning to Google Groups

From: John Clements (johnbclements at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 20 14:38:37 EDT 2015

Dear all,

As I mentioned back on February 26, PLT would like to get out of the
mailing-list administration game. That message was greeted with what I
would characterize as cautious apathy, which is exactly what I was hoping
for.

Accordingly, we’re going to proceed with the plan to switch to Google
Groups, starting today.

For those that are interested, here’s the proposed sequence of steps. At
the end of each step is a listing of the problems that are expected to be
present after that step is complete.

DONE disable legacy archive flag on google group, do some local testing
(group won’t be archiving messages)
- send nice warning message to everyone (here it is!), and ask people to
sign up for the new google group themselves (group won’t be archiving
messages)
- update text at www.racket-lang.org to tell people to sign up for the
google group, rather than using the mailman interface. (new users can’t see
incoming messages, some old users can’t see messages on new group)
-  disable mailman-based signup for the group. Add a nice message if
possible that tells people to sign up for the google group instead. (new
users can’t see messages on dev, some old users can’t see messages on new
group)
- create google alias from users at racket-lang to point to
users at googlegroups.com, as Eli helped me do for dev. (some old users can’t
see messages on new group)
- after an appropriate interval, bulk-add existing members. (some people
won’t choose to be on the mailing list any more.)
… at this point, mailman is out of the loop.
- update mail-archive.com to archive new group
- update gmane mirror
- update marc.info

We would like the transition to be as smooth as possible, and we can use
your help with this.  Specifically, Google has a daily cap on the number of
e-mail addresses that can be bulk-invited to a mailing list. For this
reason, it would speed the transition greatly if you could take a moment to
sign up for the new group yourself, using this URL:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/racket-users/join

Some of you are *already* members of this group, but you have your delivery
option set to “no e-mail”. If you’re one of these users, then you should
adjust your delivery preference to “all e-mail” (assuming this is what you
want).

We plan to disable signup for the old group now. Tomorrow, we plan to alter
the delivery of the users at racket-lang.org address to point to the new group.

We plan to manually add or invite the members who do not add themselves,
but the daily cap will mean that these users are likely to miss one or more
days of postings to this list. Naturally,  those posts will be archived, as
part of the group. Also, I have to fill out a captcha for each 10 users,
and we currently have more than 1,500.

The archive of the existing list will continue to exist, though new
messages will not be added to it.

Let us know if you run into problems!

Many thanks,

John Clements