[racket] Crowdsourcing Pict3D's design

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 19 22:42:11 EDT 2015

On 03/19/2015 10:00 PM, Neil Toronto wrote:
> On 03/19/2015 02:09 PM, Raoul Duke wrote:
>>> Currently, the vertex data for frozen shapes is transferred every
>>> frame. The
>>> 3D engine is saturating your AGP bus.
>>
>> the year 2003 called and wants its technology back. :-)
>
> The year 1861 sent you a telegraph: they want their insult back. :p
>
> Anyway... there are things missing from Pict3D not because they're
> difficult, but because I haven't decided on a design. This one's a prime
> example. The 3D engine already uses vertex buffer objects (i.e. current
> tech) to stream vertex data. It would be easy to give each frozen Pict3D
> its own, and send to and evict from the GPU based on some caching
> policy. But I haven't researched good policies yet.
>
> Texture and normal maps are another prime example. From a UI
> perspective, texture coordinates have got to be the worst way to
> associate sub-geometry details with a shape. I don't know what Pict3D
> will have instead. I'm half-inclined to make a mini-DSL that compiles to
> vertex and fragment shaders and let you figure it out. :D

It has been brought to my attention that AGP buses have gone extinct,
and you were probably talking about that.

That's what I get for not putting computers together anymore. What's
next, machines without 3.5-inch floppy drives? What'll I do with all
these Turbo C++ and Windows NT install disks?

Neil ⊥

Posted on the users mailing list.