[racket] Racketrivia: Using ' as an identifier suffix

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Thu Jan 8 18:34:53 EST 2015

Pierpaolo has good points, and so I wouldn't put my recommendation as
strongly as before.

However, I'll still keep non-ASCII out of any code I write, for the
reasons I stated.

Incidentally, a lot of Racket code is being run in/for production
environments that are still using a lot of very-old-version Web
browsers, and sometimes even with old not-entirely-transparent HTTP
proxies.  The requirements (express and implied) are sometimes such that
one must conform to the existing environment -- you can't always say,
"You are not in compliance with standard 12345, so the failure was your
responsibility," nor "Well, this wouldn't have failed, had you gotten
with the times, so let this be a learning experience for you, you're
welcome."  This is also related to the protocol guidance of "be liberal
in what you accept, and conservative in what you send."

Neil V.

Pierpaolo Bernardi wrote on 01/08/2015 05:20 PM:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 10:49 PM, Neil Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:
>> I generally recommend against using non-ASCII characters in Racket source
>> code.
>>
>> Besides the human readability question (and the searchability question),
>> non-ASCII still presents a significant risk of your characters getting
>> corrupted "in transmission".
> Unicode is here to stay, you can't sweep it under the rug.  The more
> we use it, the sooner people will get annoyed with broken services and
> protocols and the sooner the brokenness will go away.
>
> And in addition to cute symbols, there are also normal character for
> writing languages other than English.

Posted on the users mailing list.