[racket] pkg/info.rkt documentation

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 2 14:40:40 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Alexander D. Knauth
<alexander at knauth.org> wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2015, at 12:24 PM, Brian Mastenbrook <brian at mastenbrook.net> wrote:
>
>> (Combining multiple replies.)
>>
>> On Jan 2, 2015, at 1:16, Asumu Takikawa <asumu at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe you've already seen it and it wasn't helpful, but there is a
>>> "package metadata" page that tries to explain some of this.
>>>
>>> http://plt.eecs.northwestern.edu/snapshots/current/doc/pkg/metadata.html
>>
>> That's actually the document I missed; apologies to all. Somehow I glossed over it in the pkg documentation, and my Google-fu must have been weak at the moment. I think a link to this from the "raco setup" documentation that defines the info.rkt format would be helpful.
>>
>> On Jan 1, 2015, at 23:54, Alexander D. Knauth <alexander at knauth.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I felt exactly the same way, and I did the same thing (but still managed to get some things wrong), but then did manage to get it, and it does make sense.
>>> Though for me one extra complicating factor was that I was trying to include scribble documentation.
>>>
>>> But as I understand it:  (If I’m wrong about anything please correct me)
>>
>> Thanks, that was helpful. I'll need to figure out the Scribble requirements too, but fortunately I already did find the documentation for that. I'm still not sure I understand the difference between deps and build-deps though;
>
> Neither do I, really, but:  (and now especially, correct me if I’m wrong)
>
>> how can I tell if my dependencies need to be deps?
>
> I think you can run raco setup with the `--check-pkg-deps` flag and it will tell you.  Also the package catalog will show your package as having dependency problems.

Running just 'raco setup' with no arguments is more reliable. It
reports all dependency problems (not interesting) but it makes sure
the information it derives dependency information from is completely
up to date (very interesting).

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.