[racket] Racket on Centos?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Wed Feb 4 19:34:46 EST 2015

I always build it to put all of Racket into a single directory tree, by
adding an argument like `--prefix=/usr/local/racket-6.1.1` when I do the
"./configure" part of the build.

One of my clients simply copies one of these install trees around to
many servers (running the same GNU/Linux distro version), and that's
worked perfectly for years.

If you do it this way, there's not much else to do (if the target
machine otherwise has the shared libraries on which Racket depends but
does not include).
On servers, I just have the application-specific stuff set an
application-specific environment variable for the path to Racket version
install  to use, and everything else about the app uses that variable.
(This is also used when running the app on a workstation.)
On your workstation, for convenience on command lines that you type
manually, you can add the path to the desired Racket installation, to
your shell's `PATH` or `path` environment variable, but I suggest *not*
doing that on server.

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.