[racket] Preliminary support for Racket on EV3

From: Tomi Pieviläinen (tomi.pievilainen+racket at iki.fi)
Date: Tue Sep 30 11:11:49 EDT 2014

First apologies to Alexsandro Soares, if I'm intruding, but I wasn't
sure if you were on the mailing list and you were asking about this in
June.

I tested how well Racket runs on the Lego Mindstorms EV3 (with
ev3dev), and found out that there is enough memory on the device to
get a REPL running.  The loading time is somewhat annoying, but not
prohibitive. I also started creating a library for using the ev3dev
kernel exposed file based API. I tested that I can use the color and
ultrasonic sensors, and motors. The rest is simple from those.

I'm a bit stuck by trying to grok Racket better. I'm thinking about
possibility to have some kind of "typed literals" for distance, time
and angle, so that I could use (move-robot 11cm) or (move-robot 11s)
like calls, instead of having separate functions for time and distance
variables, or having to create the values with (cm 11) or such.

Not sure if that makes any sense, but I was thinking that it might
feel more natural and also I'm interested in seeing how easily it
could be done.

--
Tomi Pieviläinen, +358 400 487 504
A: Because it disrupts the natural way of thinking.