[racket] FastCGI support?

From: Matt Gushee (matt at gushee.net)
Date: Fri Nov 21 02:42:25 EST 2014

Hi, Neil--

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 12:22 PM, Neil Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:
> That pure-Racket SCGI module is used successfully for a large
> workstation-ish Web app, and for several Web services (including data

Great information! Thank you very much.

I did a bit of further research, and it looks like I will indeed be
using SCGI. I think I had some misconceptions, e.g. that there was no
SCGI support in Nginx or uWSGI, which I normally use in production.
That turns out not to be the case (I think SCGI support may have been
added just recently to uWSGI, though). I had also heard that there was
a performance disadvantage to using SCGI, but as best I can tell, that
is more of a theoretical than real issue in most cases.

Honestly, to be able to use your package. My passions and such
expertise as I have are more toward the realm of user experience, but
I sometimes get sucked into infrastructure hacking because in order to
deliver great UX, you need a solid foundation. But whenever possible,
I prefer to leave the low-level stuff to those who are better at it,
as you seem to be.

I do have a couple of questions/comments, though:

* I was surprised at the number of dependencies pulled in when I
installed the scgi package. It looks like most of them are there to
support the template processor which is required by the example code.
It's not a big deal, of course, but I wonder if the example really
should be part of the package.

* I would like to be able to use Unix sockets for my apps. I'm sure I
can add that capability for my own use, but I might as well share that
work with the community. Would you accept a patch for that? Or is
there a particular reason your module only supports TCP?

PS: I poked around your site a bit, and enjoyed the description of
RackOut. Maybe I'll try it one of these days, though I don't watch a
lot of DVDs.

--
Matt Gushee