[racket] debugging memory allocation

From: David Vanderson (david.vanderson at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 7 23:43:48 EST 2014

On 11/07/2014 09:45 PM, Jay McCarthy wrote:
> Robby's advice of using backtrace can be useful. But it is pretty
> complicated to use, especially with an interactive application. If you
> go that route, you want to make an automated version of your code.
> Another strategy is to put your model and your view in different
> threads, give them different custodians, and monitor (via sampling)
> their memory.
I'll try the backtrace option if I run into a wall.  When you say
automated version, do you mean something like a stand-alone program that
displays a representative frame say 100 times, and outputs
(current-memory-use) before and after?  Is (current-memory-use) what you
mean by "sampling"?
> A general strategy is to minimize allocation per-frame, use contiguous
> memory when you can, and reuse IT when you can. It is easy to start
> writing C code if you go down this path and it may not help.
>
> At a glance of your code...
Thank you very much!

I was under the assumption that if my lists were generally small (~ 10
elements) then I wouldn't have to worry about it.  I'll go back and
start testing this.  For a ring buffer, can you give an example of how
to implement one?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted on the users mailing list.