[racket] Typed racket -> huge executable size

From: Asumu Takikawa (asumu at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 5 03:09:06 EST 2014

On 2014-11-04 10:32:01 -0500, Vincent St-Amour wrote:
> My hypothesis is that the `typed/racket/base` version of the executable
> brings in the entire Typed Racket implementation and its dependencies.
> It probably would be sufficient to only bring in the run-time portions
> of TR, which are smaller.

Is it possible to make TR programs only bring in their run-time
dependencies though?

I tried an experiment by making a module like this:

  #lang racket/base
  (require (for-syntax racket/syntax))

Since the library `racket/syntax` is only used for compile-time, you
might expect that it won't be included via `raco exe` but it actually
is. (you can see by doing `raco exe --vv`)

So maybe Racket cannot currently separate compile-time out for building
executables at all?

Cheers,
Asumu

Posted on the users mailing list.