[racket] off-topic -- Re: Live coding with Racket?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri May 30 13:34:06 EDT 2014

One of my grads called me this morning, from Cambridge/England after trying three times to connect with me yesterday. I hadn't talked to him in 10 years.

[[ He called to say that (1) his Amazon interviewers loved everything on his CV that I had suggested to him way back -- but that's the unimportant part. Good students know and acknowledge where they learned the relevant stuff. ]]

He called to say (2) that he had been asked to interview 85 people for Amazon recently and that it confirmed all my predictions I had made to him as he grew up with me. These people graduate from "Java is all there is you need to know" so-called universities; they know the syntax; they know the JDK and SDK; they know Eclipse menu entries; they know some keyboard short-cuts; but they don't know any concepts. They can't think. They are unlikely to make a positive contribution and cannot be recommended.

So perhaps it's not on people's list, but it is on the list of second-level interviewers at shops that understand the value of software.

-- Matthias