[racket] Struct fields in struct-info + match enhancements

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at cs.indiana.edu)
Date: Wed May 14 13:18:58 EDT 2014

Here's my suggestion:

- We add an `extract-extended-struct-info` procedure which always
produces a struct that implements `prop:struct-info` (it's easy to use
a simply struct to wrap the list when needed)
- We change `struct` & `define-struct` to use a structure implementing
`prop:struct-info`, but with an additional field holding the list you
want (or perhaps this should be a new structure property)
- When `match` encounters a struct reference, it uses
`extract-extended-struct-info`, checks if it's an instance of this
extended struct, and if it is, uses that info.
- When `match` encounters a struct reference that doesn't support the
new behavior, the sort of keyword syntax you describe is a syntax
error.

I think this (a) preserves backwards compatibility (b) supports future
extension (c) accomplishes what you need.

Sam

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM, J. Ian Johnson <ianj at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> I'm talking about the transformer binding. Specifically the result of extract-struct-info that both struct-copy and match use in their expansion, which produces a six-element list that satisfies struct-info?.
> This six-element list has
> optional identifier bound to type descriptor
> optional identifier bound to type constructor
> optional identifier bound to type predicate
> list of field accessor identifiers (optional last value of #f)
> list of optional field mutator identifiers
> optional super type identifier
>
> I want a 7th element that is the list of field identifiers themselves as given to the struct form or the define-signature form (which I believe produces the expected struct-info transformer binding, so I don't have to actually change define-signature). The expectation is that the field names and the field accessor names correspond 1-to-1.
>
> 7 is not 6, thus backwards-incompatible.
> I know many programs use positional accessors rather than match on the whole structure of the list, so I imagine adding a 7th element is not very intrusive.
> -Ian

Posted on the users mailing list.