[racket] Blog post about Racket

From: Konrad Hinsen (konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net)
Date: Tue May 13 03:32:57 EDT 2014

Hendrik Boom writes:

 > > > Making languages with different garbage
 > > > collectors work together is such a pain that I am not very motivated
 > > > to try. I guess this problem will ensure the survival of C for many
 > > > years to come.
 > >
 > > A student of mine tried twice to integrate Python with Racket
 > > some 10, 12 years ago. Painful indeed, and your conclusion is
 > > correct.
 >
 > The world needs a good, flexible, exact garbage collector that can be
 > used by a variety of languages.  Ideally, its interface to the rest of
 > the world should admit of implementations that are just
 > stop-and-collect, or stop-and-copy, or multicore for speed, or
 > even concurrent with the mutator.

That's an excellent idea, though I am not sure how to make it happen.
I suspect that technically it's already a nontrivial problem (but I am
not at all a GC expert), and then there is the nearly insurmountable
problem of getting language designers and implementers to agree on
something.

Konrad.

Posted on the users mailing list.