[racket] math/matrix

From: Jens Axel Søgaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Sun May 11 17:13:38 EDT 2014

I tried restricting the matrix-solve and matrix-gauss-elim to (Matrix Flonum).
I can't observe a change in the timings.

#lang typed/racket
(require math/matrix
         math/array
         math/private/matrix/utils
         math/private/vector/vector-mutate
         math/private/unsafe
         (only-in racket/unsafe/ops unsafe-fl/)
         racket/fixnum
         racket/list)

(define-type Pivoting (U 'first 'partial))

(: flonum-matrix-gauss-elim
   (case-> ((Matrix Flonum) -> (Values (Matrix Flonum) (Listof Index)))
           ((Matrix Flonum) Any -> (Values (Matrix Flonum) (Listof Index)))
           ((Matrix Flonum) Any Any -> (Values (Matrix Flonum) (Listof Index)))
           ((Matrix Flonum) Any Any Pivoting -> (Values (Matrix
Flonum) (Listof Index)))))
(define (flonum-matrix-gauss-elim M [jordan? #f] [unitize-pivot? #f]
[pivoting 'partial])
  (define-values (m n) (matrix-shape M))
  (define rows (matrix->vector* M))
  (let loop ([#{i : Nonnegative-Fixnum} 0]
             [#{j : Nonnegative-Fixnum} 0]
             [#{without-pivot : (Listof Index)} empty])
    (cond
      [(j . fx>= . n)
       (values (vector*->matrix rows)
               (reverse without-pivot))]
      [(i . fx>= . m)
       (values (vector*->matrix rows)
               ;; None of the rest of the columns can have pivots
               (let loop ([#{j : Nonnegative-Fixnum} j] [without-pivot
without-pivot])
                 (cond [(j . fx< . n)  (loop (fx+ j 1) (cons j without-pivot))]
                       [else  (reverse without-pivot)])))]
      [else
       (define-values (p pivot)
         (case pivoting
           [(partial)  (find-partial-pivot rows m i j)]
           [(first)    (find-first-pivot rows m i j)]))
       (cond
         [(zero? pivot)  (loop i (fx+ j 1) (cons j without-pivot))]
         [else
          ;; Swap pivot row with current
          (vector-swap! rows i p)
          ;; Possibly unitize the new current row
          (let ([pivot  (if unitize-pivot?
                            (begin (vector-scale! (unsafe-vector-ref rows i)
                                                  (unsafe-fl/ 1. pivot))
                                   (unsafe-fl/ pivot pivot))
                            pivot)])
            (elim-rows! rows m i j pivot (if jordan? 0 (fx+ i 1)))
            (loop (fx+ i 1) (fx+ j 1) without-pivot))])])))

(: flonum-matrix-solve
   (All (A) (case->
             ((Matrix Flonum) (Matrix Flonum)        -> (Matrix Flonum))
             ((Matrix Flonum) (Matrix Flonum) (-> A) -> (U A (Matrix
Flonum))))))
(define flonum-matrix-solve
  (case-lambda
    [(M B)  (flonum-matrix-solve
             M B (λ () (raise-argument-error 'flonum-matrix-solve
"matrix-invertible?" 0 M B)))]
    [(M B fail)
     (define m (square-matrix-size M))
     (define-values (s t) (matrix-shape B))
     (cond [(= m s)
            (define-values (IX wps)
              (parameterize ([array-strictness #f])
                (flonum-matrix-gauss-elim (matrix-augment (list M B)) #t #t)))
            (cond [(and (not (empty? wps)) (= (first wps) m))
                   (submatrix IX (::) (:: m #f))]
                  [else  (fail)])]
           [else
            (error 'flonum-matrix-solve
                   "matrices must have the same number of rows; given ~e and ~e"
                   M B)])]))

(: mx Index)
(define mx 600)

(: r (Index Index -> Flonum))
(define (r i j) (random))

(: A : (Matrix Flonum))
(define A (build-matrix mx mx r))

(: sum : Integer Integer -> Flonum)
(define (sum i n)
  (let loop ((j 0) (acc 0.0))
    (if (>= j mx) acc
        (loop (+ j 1) (+ acc (matrix-ref A i j))) )))

(: b : (Matrix Flonum))
(define b (build-matrix mx 1 sum))

(time
 (let [(m (flonum-matrix-solve A b))]
  (matrix-ref m 0 0)))
(time
(let [(m (matrix-solve A b))]
  (matrix-ref m 0 0)))

(time
 (let [(m (flonum-matrix-solve A b))]
  (matrix-ref m 0 0)))
(time
(let [(m (matrix-solve A b))]
  (matrix-ref m 0 0)))

(time
 (let [(m (flonum-matrix-solve A b))]
  (matrix-ref m 0 0)))
(time
(let [(m (matrix-solve A b))]
  (matrix-ref m 0 0)))

> The garbage collection time is probably from cleaning up boxed flonums, and
> possibly intermediate vectors. If so, a separate implementation of Gaussian
> elimination for the FlArray type would cut the GC time to nearly zero.
>
> Neil ⊥
>

> On 05/11/2014 01:36 PM, Jens Axel Søgaard wrote:
>>
>> Or ... you could take a look at
>>

>> https://github.com/plt/racket/blob/master/pkgs/math-pkgs/math-lib/math/private/matrix/matrix-gauss-elim.rkt
>>
>> at see if something can be improved.
>>
>> /Jens Axel

>>> Hi Eduardo,
>>>
>>> The math/matrix library uses the arrays from math/array to represent
>>> matrices.
>>>
>>> If you want to try the same representation as Bigloo, you could try Will
>>> Farr's
>>> matrix library:
>>>

>>> http://planet.racket-lang.org/package-source/wmfarr/simple-matrix.plt/1/1/planet-docs/simple-matrix/index.html
>>>
>>> I am interested in hearing the results.